Making snacks at home is a great way to save money and create something extremely delicious. Bread is one of my favorite things to bake and having different forms of bread to snack on. From a classic white bread loaf to yeast dinner rolls, there are plenty of different ways to have bread. Sometimes, I have a hankering for something a bit fancier and that’s where homemade pizza breadsticks come in. The addition of pizza sauce and cheese adds plenty of flavor to this snack. Other toppings can be added, however, I have found that this version is a family favorite. If you are looking for something to bake this weekend, then give these pizza breadsticks a try.
Homemade pizza breadsticks
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4-1/3 cup of pizza sauce
- Place the first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined. Use speed 2 on the stand mixer or mix by hand.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of flour and mix until well combined, using speed 2 on your stand mixer. If the dough is too sticky, add a small amount of flour.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead a few times until it becomes smooth.
- Grease a bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise for approximately 45 minutes. Placing it in the oven with the light on works well if it happens to be cool in your house.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Punch down and place on a floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about 1/2-1 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter or a knife, cut the rolled-out dough in half. Place each half of the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough into strips, about 1 inch wide. Spread them out slightly, leaving a small gap in between each breadstick. Let rise for about 30 minutes.
- Cover each breadstick with a spoonful of pizza sauce, making sure to spread it evenly. Sprinkle cheese over the breadsticks.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a minute before using a pizza cutter to divide the breadsticks. This is best done when they are still warm.
Be sure to give these homemade pizza breadsticks a try.