Ah, November. The second last month of the year and the real beginning of winter for us Northerners. It is hard to believe that the year is almost over. I feel like these past few months just flew by far too quickly. Hopefully, that means that the winter will also pass in a flash. Since it’s a new month, that means it’s time to set some new goals. Every month, I take the opportunity to assess what my previous goals were, how I did and what I need to work on in the future. This means I am constantly working on improving and ensuring anything that didn’t get done in the previous month will carry over into the current one. Before I share my November 2018 goals, I want to take a moment and go over my October goals and see how those went.
How I did in October
October was quite the month. There was Thanksgiving, my husband’s birthday, our 11th wedding anniversary, and Halloween. Toss in a two-day long trip to the city, a day or two to recover from said trip, and just the general chaos of life and I didn’t know whether I was coming or going some days.
- Harvest the garden. Yup, got this all done. Well, I didn’t get around to seeing if the horseradish was harvestable this year, but it got too cold. All in all, it was a pretty decent year for the garden.
- Winterize the garden. Done! Took us a few days overall to get it all done, but that is complete.
- Clean the garden tools. Yes. I made sure to wipe them down and ensure that there was no dirt or moisture left on them before putting them in storage. This should keep them from rusting.
- Do more canning. I was able to can a whole lot of turkey soup and stock after Thanksgiving.
- Try a new recipe. You know, I don’t think we did this. Technically, we did cook up Brussel sprouts for the first time, but I’m not sure I would call that a new recipe per se.
- NaNoWriMo prep. This was one of those last-minute things for the most part, but I got it done. Or at least enough of it is done to make it feel like I am ready for NaNoWriMo.
- Get ready for winter. I feel like I have been doing this for quite some time. However, I also feel like we are 99% done. I am sure there are one or two small things that still need to get done, but they aren’t the top priority, must get done now type of things. For those curious about all of the things we do to get ready for winter, I will be doing a series of posts about it starting very soon.
- Exercise regularly. Nope! Though the day I spent pulling weeds in the garden was definitely a workout. Otherwise, this was a failure.
- Organize the kitchen. Yes! This was especially important as we had to make room for quite a few winter stock-up items.
- Read at least 2 books. Yes! I read The Girl From The Other Side Volume 5, The Ancient Magus’ Bride Volume 9, and 12 volumes of Yona of The Dawn.
- Paint the bathroom. We got this done at the very end of the month.
- Paint the entryway and kitchen. Nope! We didn’t find the time for this.
- Watch 1 season of a show. Yes! I watched 1 season of Wartime Kitchen And Gardening and 1 season of Last Exile.
- Get and stay ahead with the blog. I wasn’t completely successful at this. However, I feel like I came darn close to meeting this one since I was for the most part ahead this month. Heck, I even have two posts ready for November.
- Take Pictures. I don’t feel like I took as many pictures this month as I did in previous months, but I definitely got quite a few of them. So yes, this was a success.
November 2018 goals
November is going to be a slightly crazy month, so I am going to cut back on my goals. There is a chance I could keep up with doing as much as I have in the previous months, but I’d rather not spread myself too thin.
- Complete NaNoWriMo. I did my NaNoWriMo prep, got my survival kit ready, and now it’s time to tackle this writing challenge and hit my 50,000-word count goal. This will take up quite a bit of my time, so this is the main reason why I am cutting back on my goals for the month.
- Declutter the bedroom. I don’t think this room needs much work to be perfectly honest, but we will see.
- Organize the bedroom. Once again, this will probably be a quick and easy project, much like the decluttering aspect, so I should be able to get it done in no time.
- Do more canning. Yes, this again. I feel like the canning will never end and yet I look forward to doing more. Now that the priority canning is done, I can move to the fun stuff like BBQ sauces, jams, and maybe a few other things.
- Try a new recipe. Yup, once again, I want to try a new recipe. Not sure what it will be yet. If you have any suggestions, leave them in the comments.
- Watch some things on the PVR. I have been neglecting my PVR lately, so I really need to start watching some shows and deleting them. I should be able to squeeze a few episodes in over the course of the month.
- Paint the kitchen and entryway. This is going to be a big project that will likely take close to a week to finish. But I really want to get it done before it gets too cold out.
- Read 1 book. I’ll have my hands full with NaNoWriMo, plus I try not to read when writing because it affects my writing. But, I would like to read one book for sure this month. I may pick an audiobook for this.
- Stay ahead. I currently have a few posts ready for the month, but I don’t want to slack off because of that and then fall behind. So I need to keep staying ahead.
- Prepare for Blogmas. I really want to do Blogmas, so I need to think of blog posts and get some of those done ahead of time. As you know, I don’t already have enough writing-related things to do between NaNoWriMo and November posts, so I had to add this one to the mix.
There you have it. This is a fairly short list of goals for November. What goals have you set for yourself for November?